Vitamin B12 is a key vitamin that we must gather from various sources in order to help regulate key processes in the body.
Where can it be found?
B12 is primarily found in animal products and some of the best sources of B12 are liver, eggs and dairy. Unfortunately B12 does not appear naturally in plant products, meaning those who opt to live a vegetarian or vegan-based lifestyle will need supplementation.
Why should I take it and what are the benefits?
B12 is responsible for a lot of key functions in the body:
- B12 is part of the formula to help convert the carbohydrates we eat into the energy source stored in our muscles – glucose.
- It also helps regulate the nervous system with many studies showing B12 supplementation to help those living with depression and stress.
- B12 regulates our digestive system, protects against heart disease and helps to improve cholesterol levels. This in turn helps control blood pressure and also reduces the risk of stroke.
- Not only is it beneficial on the inside, but on the surface level too. B12 helps support health skin, hair and nails.
- Finally, Vitamin B12 is also linked with protection against particular cancers including breast, colon, lung and prostate
As always we recommend before trying any new supplement that you consult with your health specialist to ensure it is safe to do so.
By Igor Kharin.